We all hear the horror stories of people’s businesses being broken in to, vandalised, robbed blind…violated essentially. Most business owners think as fondly of their business as they do their own children. They put everything they can in to keeping these businesses afloat and then to have it ripped away with potentially, everlasting, damaging effects. And not just on their business either, it’s their home lives aswell.
The Wholesale & Retail industry alone reported 8.1 Million incidents in 2017! It’s happening all around us. But do you know what precautionary measures you can take? As obvious as it sounds, hiding your cash and your stock is one of the best solutions. Easier said than done. Where do you hide it? Would the location seem obvious to an opportunist? Have you got easy enough access to it for when you’re not preventing it from being stolen? Seems like hard word…
There are certain things that you can do, such as think of the positioning of your store. Try to avoid having valuable stock near the entrance (we know it attracts customers, but it can also attract the wrong people who expect a five-finger discount!). If you do though, make sure it’s secure. Position your tills near enough to the window so passers-by are able to see, if anything untoward was to happen, but far enough from the entrance so the opportunists don’t think of it as a quick getaway with your moneys.
Put together a contingency plan to prepare yourself, your staff and your business for the worst. Have you already got one in place? Do you even remember what it is? You may have done it when you opened the business up twenty years ago and haven’t updated it.
There is also a ‘Secured by Design’ scheme with helps identify builders who have incorporated specific crime prevention measures and have consulted with police. They can make your premises more secure by putting in safe storage units, stronger doors and windows, smoke security devices, high security fencing and alarms etc. Contact your local police and you may be able to get an Architectural Liaison Officer (ALO) to provide crime prevention design advice on your premises under the same scheme.
So, say you do all of these things to prevent these opportunist b*****ds and they still decide to defy you, smash your place up and run away with all of your goodies? Then what? Well, we haven’t talked about surveillance cameras yet. Part of the horror stories that we hear are that people have these surveillance cameras, solely as a deterrent, not for actual functionality! So when it comes down to it and you’ve got, what looks like a 3 megapixel video, that skips constantly and you’re trying to get a screenshot of the face of this criminal but it looks like one of those images where people claimed to see Bigfoot and it’s actually just a fuzzy picture of a tree.
CommsProvider only use the latest camera solutions from Mobotix, which ensure comprehensive security in a modern, networked world. The cameras contain a range of sensors and a powerful computer that analyses data, logically links it and independently initiates actions to defend against hazards.
Mobotix’s cameras feature:
- Maintenance-free, fiber-glass reinforced housing
- Moonlight Image Sensors
- Modular Day and Night Dual Camera Technology
- Intelligent Exposure Control (enables high-quality video recording under poor light conditions without additional lighting needed)
- Hemispheric video system with 360° all-round view (ceiling installation)
- 180° Panorama View (wall installation)
- Configure with any device without additional software
- HD audio equipment, supporting two-way communication
- Records and securely encrypts audio to internal SD card
- Intelligent Video Analysis for stats on objects and people, heat maps and behavioural detection
- Weatherproof thermal camera detects and registers objects and people, even in total darkness
- IP Video Door Station registers suspicious movements and sounds and records automatically to collect evidence, while sending a message to residents or a security company
- Integrate your devices with add-ons such as infrared illuminators, alarms, thermostats etc. For example, a button on your smartphone or the sensor on one of the cameras can trigger an alarm, which can then switch on the lights, open an access barrier or lock down the building completely.
I hope the opportunists that break in to premises with these cameras know which side is their “good side” ready to show the police.
Don’t get caught out. It’s worth getting a high-quality surveillance camera, especially one that can do so much more for you and your peace of mind.
Contact CommsProvider on 0345 855 0700 or email on firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss what we can do to help your business.